Local Heroes from Bord Gáis Energy Limited – Trader Privacy Notice
1. Local Heroes and your personal information
This privacy notice explains how we collect, share and use your personal data, from when you use the local heroes website (“website” or “site”), and if you go on to register your details to become a Local Hero.
Use of the website may be via a mobile application and any references to mobiles, mobile devices, or “Apps” in any of the documentation associated with Local Heroes will be covered by this Privacy Notice. Please note that when you are using a mobile device to access the website you may be liable for standard SMS and per-minute charges by your mobile network carrier.
You can contact us through the normal channels, and we’ve also put our privacy team’s contact details below.
Local Heroes is an introducing service offered by Bord Gáis Energy Limited, which is the data controller for these purposes.
We may update this privacy notice from time to time to ensure it is always up to date and accurate. Any changes we may make to our privacy notice will be posted on the trader this page, and we will communicate any significant changes to you.
By continuing to use the website you confirm that you have read and understood this privacy notice and accept the associated terms and conditions of use.
2. Personal information we collect
(What constitutes your personal data will depend on whether you are a sole trader or part of a partnership, or trade through a legal entity such as a company.)
We collect the following types of personal information from you for the purposes of providing the Local Heroes introducing service:
- Contact details: information that allows us to contact you directly such as your name, email address, telephone number and addresses, and potentially the approximate location of your computer or mobile device. Please note that a mobile number will be required in order to send you notifications of potential jobs.
- Other financial information: any other financial information relating to your business that you may share as part of the registration process.
- Qualifications, certificates and accreditations
- Insurance details
- Responses to surveys, competitions and promotions: we keep records of any surveys you respond to or your entry into any competition or promotion we run.
- Records of your discussions with our customer support teams: when you share comments and opinions with us, ask us questions or make a complaint we will keep a record of this.
- How you use our website: when you use our website we collect information about the pages you look at and how you use them.
- Public areas on the website: your profile on the website consists of personal information collected from you, may include feedback/ratings, skills and work history. Some or all of this information may be made visible to users of the website.
You are not required to provide any of the personal information described above to us, however, if you do not do so, you may not be able to use the Local Heroes service.
3. What we use your personal information for
We process some of your personal information to enter or fulfil the contract between us, including:
|Purpose||Personal information used|
|Provision of the Local Heroes Website and associated services||
|Performing the terms of the contract||
|Answer your queries or complaints||
|Assist in payment for services||
|Legal compliance under the terms of the contract||
We process some of your personal information because we have a legitimate interest to do so, including:
|Purpose||Personal information used|
|Validation of your registration||
|Providing a safe environment for users of the website||
|Investigating misuse of your account||
|Billing and fraud protection||
|Required to do so by law or court order||
|For the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims||
|To enforce the terms and conditions of using the website||
|Maintain accuracy and relevance of your data||
|Assist in obtaining payment to you for the services provided||
|Maintain and improve our products and services||
|Develop new products and services||
|Determine products and services that may be of interest to you||
We may anonymise and aggregate any of the personal information we hold (so that it does not identify you). We may use anonymised and aggregated information for purposes that include testing our IT systems, research, data analysis, improving our site, and developing new products and services.
4. Sources we collect your personal information from
We will collect personal information from a number of sources. These include the following:
- Directly from you: when you sign up as a trader, you provide us with information about you, and the services you will offer. If you complete forms we provide to you, enter our competitions and promotions, make a complaint, or contact us by phone, email or communicate with us in some other way, we will also have this information.
- Our website: provides us with information about how you use them.
- Other companies and people we work with: provide us with information to help us deliver our services to you. These include:
- Companies in the same group of companies as us.
- Local Heroes customers: if they give us feedback about you.
- Vetting agencies: provide us with information on your suitability for our service.
- The government and regulators and other law enforcement agencies: may provide us with information about any complaint they receive.
5. Who we share your personal information with
We share personal information collected in accordance with this Privacy Notice with the following parties:
- Companies in the same group of companies as us: for the purpose of providing a service to you.
- Any party approved by you.
- Potential customers: the website facilitates contact between potential customers and registered local heroes. We reserve the right to share your contact information (e.g. phone number and email) with a customer, or with their legal or other representatives, in order to facilitate the resolution of a dispute related to or arising from an interaction on the website. This exchange of information is a mandatory part of the website and the services being provided.
- Vetting agencies: to enable us to vet your application.
- Other third party service providers and advisors: such as companies that support our IT, help us analyse the data we hold, Financial Information, send communications to our customers, provide us with legal or financial advice and generally help us run our business and deliver our services to you.
- Purchasers of our business/assignment to a parent or an affiliate: buyers or perspective buyers who we sell or negotiate to sell our business to or our parent or affiliates following a reorganisation or merger.
- The Government or our regulators: where we are required to do so by law or to assist with their investigations or initiatives.
- Garda Síochána and law enforcement including court orders: to assist with the investigation and prevention of crime. Please note that we reserve the right to disclose personal information in the absence of a court order if we are given reason to believe, in our sole discretion, that someone is causing injury to or interfering with the rights of any user of the website; the general public visiting the website; or Bord Gáis Energy Limited, its parent or affiliates. It is our policy to provide notice to users before producing their information in response to law enforcement requests unless (i) we are prohibited by law or court order from doing so, (ii) we have reason to believe the user’s account has been compromised such that the notice would go to thevwrong person or would otherwise be counter-productive or would create a risk to safety, or (iii) it is an emergency request and prior notice would be impractical (in which case we may provide notice after the disclosure).
- Independent Quality Assessors: people we may engage to check the safety and quality of your work.
We may provide third parties with aggregate statistical information and analytics but we will make sure no one can be identified from this information before we disclose it.
6. Advertising on other websites and apps
We work with our advertising partners, including social media sites, search engines and publishers, to show you advertising about our products and services, and those offered by group companies and services. This takes place on websites or apps where our partners have advertising space or direct marketing to your premises. To do this, some of our advertising partners use information about the websites, apps, social media content and ads you interact with or view when connected to the Internet, as well as information which we provide to them, to make sure the advertising you see is more relevant to you. Some of our advertising partners provide us with aggregated, non-personal geographic and demographic information.
You can also notify us if you do not wish to receive such marketing and advertising but please note that it may mean not all parts of the website is available for your use.
7. Transferring your personal information internationally
Bord Gáis Energy Limited is part of a global organisation and in common with other organisations, we use third parties located in other countries to help us run our business. As a result, personal data may be transferred outside the countries where we, you as the local hero and the website customers are located. This includes countries outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") and to countries that do not have laws that provide specific protection for personal data. We have taken steps to ensure all personal data is provided with adequate protection and that all transfers of personal data outside the EEA are done lawfully. Where we transfer personal data outside of the EEA to a country not determined by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of protection for personal data, the transfers will be under an agreement which covers the requirements for the transfer of personal data outside the EEA, such as the European Commission approved standard contractual clauses.
8. How long do we keep personal information for
We will keep your personal information for as long as you have an account with us. After you close your account with us we will keep your personal information for a reasonable period to maintain our records and legal obligations to you. This may be for up to 6 years to comply with legislation relating to potential claims and time periods for such claims to be brought in.
9. Your rights in relation to your personal information
You may have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- the right to be informed about the personal data we collect, how your personal data is being used, and from whom we collect your personal data when we obtain it from other sources;
- the right to access the personal data we hold about you;
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal data we hold about you;
- the right to request the blocking or deletion of your personal data in some circumstances;
- the right to request that we port elements of your data either to you or another service provider;
- the right to object to us processing your personal data (where we do so on the basis of legitimate interests, or because we are using automated means to make decisions that significantly affect you); and
- the right to withdraw your consent/close your account.
You only have the benefit of some of the above rights in limited circumstances, which depend on the legal reason why we collected your personal data. Please note that by registering to become a local hero you are agreeing to share your personal information with other users and potential customers of the website and you are agreeing to receive job notifications and associated messages to do with services and products.
To exercise any of the above rights, or if you have any questions relating to your rights, please contact us by using the details set out in the "Contacting us" section below.
If you are unhappy with the way we are using your personal information you can also complain to the Data Protection Commission, Office of the Data Protection Commission, Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, Co. Laois, R32 AP23, Ireland. Phone +353 (0761) 104 800 | LoCall 1890 25 22 31 | Fax +353 57 868 4757 | email email@example.com.
10. Contacting Us
We are here to help and encourage you to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to us at: Data Governance Officer, Bord Gáis Energy Limited, PO Box 10943, Dublin 2 or call 01 611 01 01 to resolve your complaint first.
Version 1.0 dated July 2020