version 1.0; last modified July 2018
1. About this policy
Bord Gáis Energy Limited, acting as introducer for Local Heroes, and how we use your personal data.
For the introducing service for Local Heroes, the data controller is Bord Gáis Energy Limited, registered Ireland with company number 463078, at One Warrington Place, Dublin 2. Bord Gáis Energy Limited is part of the Centrica group, and at any time British Gas Services Limited may assist Bord Gáis Energy Limited with offering and maintaining the Local Heroes website, and in that instance they may also be a data controller for these purposes.
Where we refer to “you”, this also includes anyone who accesses or uses Local Heroes on your behalf. Where we refer to “us”, “we” or “our” this is in relation to Bord Gáis Energy Limited and British Gas Services Limited on our behalf.
This is our privacy notice for the provision of the Local Heroes website. It explains your statutory rights and how we collect and use your personal data. It describes the processing activities that are carried out, the purposes for which these activities are performed and the legal bases that Bord Gáis Energy Limited/British Gas Services Limited relies upon to justify these processing activities. We may vary this notice from time to time and the most up to date version will be available on the Local Heroes website.
You can let us know at any time that you do not wish to receive marketing messages by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Personal data we collect
We collect the following types of personal data:
- Your contact details: information that allows us to contact you directly to allow the Local Hero to be able to quote for your job and to carry out the service/repair. Such information will include your name, email address, telephone number and addresses associated with your account.
- Job details: information about the service that you need such as the job identification number, household details, property type, marketing preferences, complaint details, guarantee claims history, appointment details, and the same details for any previous job requests you have made.
- Records of your discussions with our customer support teams including call recordings: when you share comments and opinions with us, ask us questions or make a complaint, including when you phone us, we will keep a record of this. This includes when you send us emails, letters, phone our support team or contact us through social media.
- Location information: your smartphone or computer’s IP address may tell us an approximate location when you connect to our websites but this will be no more precise than city, state or country you are using your device in.
- Device and machine information: information about the computer hardware and software on your computers and smartphones that is used to connect or communicate with us.
- Lifestyle and demographic insight information: we use regional demographic information to determine what products or services customers may be interested in.
- Responses to surveys, competitions and promotion: we keep records of any surveys you respond to or your entry into any competition or promotion we run.
- Advertising and direct marketing: information about how you respond, or interact with, any direct marketing or advertising communications directed to you, including any requests for these communications to stop.
- Exercising your rights: if you exercise any of your statutory rights under data protection law, we will keep a record of this and how we respond. You are not required to provide to us any of the personal data described above, however, if you do not do so, you may not be able to purchase our services or the functionality of our products may be reduced.
3. What we use your personal data for and why
Where we process your personal data because of our contract
We process these items of your personal data to assist in the introduction to a Local Hero and to facilitate you entering into a contract with the Local Hero, including to:
|Reason or purpose||Personal data used|
|Provide introductory services to you and match your job to a Local Hero||
Where we process your personal data because we have a legitimate interest to
We process these items of your personal data because we have a legal and/or legitimate interest to do so. We process the following categories of personal data, including:
|Reason or purpose||Personal data used|
|Payment for the Local Hero’s services, which you make via the third-party payment provider, Stripe, appointed on behalf of the Local Hero and Local Hero website||
|Investigating misuse of the service and/or your account||
|Billing and fraud protection||
|For the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims||
|Required to do so by law or court order||
|To enforce the terms and conditions of the website||
|Maintain accuracy and relevance of your data||
|Answering queries of complaints||
|Debt collection on behalf of the Local Hero for non-payment of their invoice(s)||
|Determine products and services that may be of interest to you||
|Develop new products and services||
Where we process your personal data because you have allowed us to
We process these items of your personal data because you have provided your consent to the processing. You may revoke your consent at any point by contacting us at email@example.com or by writing to us at Data Governance Officer, Bord Gáis Energy Limited, PO Box 10943, Dublin 2 or by going to https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/dataprotection/; however, this may affect our ability to provide products and services to you:
|Reason or purpose||Personal data used|
|Direct marketing a wider range of our products and services or those of third parties (only in accordance with your marketing preferences, and you will always be given the opportunity to unsubscribe) e.g where you are a member of our Rewards Club||
Where we process your personal data so you can’t be identified any more
We may anonymise and aggregate any of the personal data we hold (so that it does not identify you). We may use anonymised and aggregated information for purposes that include testing our IT systems, research, data analysis, improving our site, apps and developing new products and services.
4. Sources we collect your personal data from
We collect personal data from many sources. These include:
- Directly from you: when you get an estimate, or book a job through the website, you provide us with information about you, and the job you want doing. If you submit information via our websites or apps, complete forms we provide to you, enter our competitions and promotions, make a claim, make a complaint, exercise your statutory rights, contact us by phone, email or communicate with us directly in some way.
- Our website and apps: we collect information about how you use them.
- Other companies we work with: provide us with information to help us deliver the products and services to you. These include:
- Companies in the same group of companies as us: who may provide relevant information about the products and services bought from them.
- Our network of local tradespeople: information they upload to our systems about your job.
- The government and regulators and other law enforcement agencies: may provide us with information about any complaint they receive.
5. Who we share your personal data with
We share personal data with the following parties you:
|Tradespeople in your local area||To match your job requirements to a Local Hero|
|Companies in the same group of companies as us||To provide the Local Heroes website and to maintain it, to provide a service to you and for cross-marketing purposes|
|Advertising/marketing partners||So that we can run advertising campaigns and conduct market research and analysis|
|Any party approved by you||Including, but not limited to, if you take part in our Rewards Club or if you ask us to transfer your data to another company|
|Companies that support our IT infrastructure||So that we can provide the service, send you emails, automate processes for marketing, monitor for errors on our platform, to assist with customer service|
|Other service providers and advisors||We share some of your personal information with other companies which help us analyse the data we hold, prompt for reviews of our services, process payments, provide us with legal or financial advice and generally help us run our business and deliver our services to you|
|Purchases of our business/assignment of our business to a parent or other group company||Buyers or prospective buyers who we sell or negotiate to sell our business to, or our parent or affiliates following a reorganization or merger|
|Government bodies or our regulators||Where we are required by law or to assist with investigations, or are part of industry information sharing schemes, including the Data Protection Commission, Commission for Regulation of Utilities, Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland, and the Central Bank of Ireland|
|Garda Síochána and law enforcement agencies||To assist with the detection, investigation and prevention of crime. Please note that we reserve the right to disclose personal information in the absence of a court order if we are given reason to believe, in our sole discretion, that someone is causing injury to or interfering with the rights of any user of the website; the general public using the website; Bord Gáis Energy Limited, its parent or affiliates. Whilst we will endeavor to give notice to users before such disclosure is made, there are times we may be prevented from doing so to assist with the ongoing investigation or to protect you or another party involved in the investigation.|
|Independent quality assessors||People we may engage to check the safety and quality of the Local Hero’s work|
|Rewards services||So that you can access discounts, rewards and other concierge services available to you in connection with your use of the Local Heroes website|
We do not disclose personal information except as set out above. We may provide third parties with aggregate statistical information and analytics about users of our products and services and we will make sure no one can be identified from this information before we disclose it.
6. Direct marketing
Email telephone, postal and SMS: from time to time, we may contact you by email, telephone (mobile and landline), post or SMS with information about products and services we believe you may be interested in.
We will only send marketing messages to you in accordance with your marketing preferences you set when you create your account of tat you tell us afterwards you are happy to receive.
You can unsubscribe from our marketing by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the marketing messages we send to you. You can also let us know at any time that you do not wish to receive marketing messages by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Advertising on other websites and apps
We work with our advertising partners, including social media sites, search engines and publishers, to show you advertising about our products and services, and those offered by group companies and services. This takes place on websites or apps where our partners have advertising space or direct marketing to your premises. To do this, some of our advertising partners use information about the websites, apps, social media content and ads you interact with or view when connected to the Internet, as well as information which we provide to them, to make sure the advertising you see is more relevant to you. Some of our advertising partners provide us with aggregated, non-personal geographic and demographic information.
Typically, cookies and similar technologies are used to provide this type of advertising online.
You can find out more about cookies and how to manage their use by reading our cookies policy.
8. Transferring your personal data internationally
Bord Gáis Energy Limited is part of a global organisation and in common with other organisations, we use third parties located in other countries to help us run our business. As a result, personal data may be transferred outside the countries where we and our customers are located. This includes countries outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and to countries that do not have laws that provide specific protection for personal data. We have taken steps to ensure all personal data is provided with adequate protection and that all transfers of personal data outside the EEA are done lawfully. Where we transfer personal data outside of the EEA to a country not determined by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of protection for personal data, the transfers will be under an agreement which covers the requirements for the transfer of personal data outside the EEA, such as the European Commission approved standard contractual clauses.
9. How long we keep personal data for
We will keep your personal data for six years from the date of your last job.
10. Your rights in relation to your personal data
You may have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- the right to be informed about the personal data we collect, how your personal data is being used, and from whom we collect your personal data when we obtain it from other sources;
- the right to access the personal data we hold about you;
- the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal data we hold about you;
- the right to request the blocking or deletion of your personal data in some circumstances;
- the right to request that we port elements of your data either to you or another service provider;
- the right to object to us processing your personal data (where we do so on the basis of legitimate interests, or because we are using automated means to make decisions that significantly affect you); and
- the right to withdraw your consent.
You only have the benefits of some of the above rights in limited circumstances, which depend on the legal reason why we collected your personal data. Please note that by uploading your details on the website to obtain a quote you are agreeing to share your personal information with registered Local Heroes and you are agreeing to receive notifications as to how your job request is progressing.
To exercise any of the above rights, or if you have any questions relating to your rights, please contact us by using the details below.
11. Getting in touch
If you have any privacy-related complaints, please contact Bord Gáis’ data protection officer by writing to Data Governance Officer, Bord Gáis Energy Limited, PO Box 10943, Dublin 2 or call 01 611 01 01 or you can email us at email@example.com. We are here to help and encourage you to contact us to resolve your complaint first.
If you are unhappy with the way we are using your personal information you can also complain to the Data Protection Commission, Office of the Data Protection Commission, Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, Co. Laois, R32 AP23, Ireland. Phone +353 (0761) 104 800 LoCall 1890 25 22 31 Fax +353 57 868 4757 email firstname.lastname@example.org.